Re: voice recognition tools

Subject: Re: voice recognition tools
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 23:06:16 -0700

NicoleMuniz -at- cs -dot- com wrote:

> I'm wondering, has anyone had any experience using voice recognition tools,
> such as Dragon Systems Naturally Speaking, with Adobe FrameMaker and/or
> Exceed ? I'm trying to find out (a.) whether Frame and Exceed work well with
> voice recognition and (b.) whether people have had good luck getting their
> companies to invest in voice recognition tools.

I can't answer the first, but I can comment on the second. Based on the idea
that we might be able to transfer some of the oral communications - such as
customer service reps submitting bug reports, such as service techs in the field
communicating diagnostic problems, such as engineers who absolutely, positively,
WON'T write to communicate whatever needs to be put on paper - we got a client
company to invest in a copy of Dragon Systems Naturally Speaking. It took me
only about an hour and a half to get it used to my voice; I have to assume
that's all the 'training' the program would need for anyone else. Since the
word processor of choice at that company was Word, I have no idea how it would
work with Frame, but it did seem to work OK with Word. Like any new
application, it takes a bit of time getting used to it, so we expected a
learning curve within the company, but when I left it seemed to be gaining
favor.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems