slightly OT inductive v. literal reasoning

Subject: slightly OT inductive v. literal reasoning
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 10:48:26 -0400

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson
go on a camping trip, set up their tent,
and fall asleep. Some hours later,
Holmes wakes his faithful friend.

"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Watson replies, "I see millions of stars."

"What does that tell you?"

Watson ponders a minute. "Astronomically
speaking, it tells me that there are millions
of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.
Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo.
Timewise, it appears to be approximately a
quarter past three. Theologically, it's evident
the Lord is all powerful and we are small and
insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we
will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does
it tell you?"

Holmes is silent for a moment, then speaks.
"Watson, you idiot, someone has stolen our tent."

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity," - Einstein-