RE: Content Dissemination

Subject: RE: Content Dissemination
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:01:51 -0400

I'm with Kevin.

Using FrameMaker is an excellent way of preventing people from butchering
well-written content. If we need to repurpose something, let me do it or put
a writer on it (if I had one) <vbg>. Seriously, I have tried to get
programming tools to repurpose software, and have succeeded in downloading
the Visual InterDev output and used Notepad.exe to repurpose that (no
tools), but if re-purposing is part of the gameplan, it should be planned
ahead and the content structured in FrameMaker to accommodate it . . . with
supporting conditional tags, SGML, or database work to boot, in addition to
the resources of a writer or more. However, you can export your FrameMaker
to HTML and share that, or, worse, RTF. I distribute all my stuff in PDF
format for review. I don't share FrameMaker application files . . . the
overhead in training, fixing, re-writing, and so forth is not worth it
because, when it breaks of fails to work as planned, the retarget project
comes and sits on my lap.

I'll do the work, writing is my job, let's plan it together and get the work
done right the first time!!

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com