RE: New writer needing advice

Subject: RE: New writer needing advice
From: "Humbird, Len" <len -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:27:43 -0700

From: John Posada [mailto:jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com]
> Anyone with
> half a brain knows that if you are going to write current
> documentation, you need the current version of the software.

Quarter of a brain. Maybe a zero- or negative-brainer. Like I suggested to
someone else, to get the manager's attention on this, you need to get a copy
of Joanne Hackos' book and whack him over the head with it. Or wait for the
paperback version so you can roll it up and shove it up his... <sigh> 1...

> I'm documenting an application and I'm one of the few people
> in the company getting the CD of the link to the network
> install for every build...there was no question (that I know
> of) that I shouldn't.

QA people should get the same thing. Just a few minutes ago I just came out
of the QA lab. This SW developer wanted to show me how his little program
worked. He says he always finds bugs when I'm around. Now I don't "look" for
bugs, but I think any tech writer's thoroughness should reveal bugs in the
process of discovery.