windows, dialogs, views, and thingies

Subject: windows, dialogs, views, and thingies
From: Becca Price <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:36:45 -0700 (PDT)

I'm going nuts trying to standardize terms used in help topics
inherited from different writers, and I need some help, please.

We have an application that runs onWindows NT. We have a general
application window that I'm told is technically an MDI but I can't call
it that in my user docs because the people I'm writing for won't know
what I'm talking about.

In side the general application window, one can open thingies that I'm
told are "forms." Nobody here seems to like my calling them "forms"
however, because we write finaicial software and our users tend to
think of forms as something you fill out once and submit. Some of the
topics I've inherited call these thingies windows. Others call them
dialogs. Some topics make a distinction between these aplet thingies
and dialog boxes such as the Password dialog. Other topics don't.

My boss really doesn't seem to want me to call the thingies the aplets
appear in "windows." She suggests "views" which I'm not sure anyone
would understand what I meant.

What do you call these thingies in your documentation?


who just started Tai Chi lessons and is *really* sore...

Becca Price
beccap -at- rust -dot- net (primary address)

"God is not willing to do everything and thus deprive us
of our free will, and that share of glory which falls to
our lot." N. Machievelli, "The Prince" ch.26

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!

Previous by Author: fields in or on a tab
Next by Author: thingies: summary
Previous by Thread: TOC/Index question
Next by Thread: Re: windows, dialogs, views, and thingies

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads