RE: windows, dialogs, views, and thingies

Subject: RE: windows, dialogs, views, and thingies
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:46:10 -0400

Hallo:

I try to stay away from naming Windows' parts in my documentation. How about
you lump dialog boxes, windows, and anything similar under "window" and
forms as "data window" (I write "form" though ;?). This goes further, a
drop-down list box and combo box become a "drop-down box," command and other
types of buttons become "button," and so forth. Forget the added complexity
and confusion that your boss adds, "applet versus window versus view,"
indeed. The point here is to document the software, not windows terminology.
Standardizing on broad terms might be technically inaccurate, in some cases,
but it achieves the goal of communicating what you need, rather than
injecting confusion.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com