desktop or laptop?

Subject: desktop or laptop?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, Melissa -dot- Fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 13:53:25 -0700

Tom Murrell wrote:

>From a documentation developement standpoint, though, I would be
>concerned if my *only* computer was a laptop. The smaller the screen,
>the harder I find it to get layout right. It is sometimes a pain in the
>you-know-what to scroll left to right constantly when working layout
>issues. So I would look at screen size carefully.

Many (if not all) laptops have a second monitor port so you can
hook them up to a larger screen. I've been using this setup for a
couple of months, and it works fine. Like Tom, I'd hate to try to
design on a laptop (in fact, even a 17" screen is cramped if
you're using a program with floating palettes).

Another problem with laptops that nobody has mentioned is
upgrading hardware. Laptop hardware tends to be more expensive
than desktop hardware; the price of PCMCIA devices is outrageous.
Also, although the situation is starting to improve, hardware
standards change more often for laptop devices, so in a couple of
years you might not be able to find the upgrade you want without
considerable trouble.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"There's a bully in the alley: he'll do his worst,
There's a bully in the alley: he won't fear your curse,
There's a bully in the alley: get your boot in first,
That's what they tell us."
- Oyster Band, "Bully in the Alley"