Re: voice recognition tools

Subject: Re: voice recognition tools
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- mailandnews -dot- com>
To: "Kay Ethier" <kethier -at- travelthepath -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 21:39:32 -0500

"Kay Ethier" <kethier -at- travelthepath -dot- com> wrote:
> IBM's ViaVoice Executive version works with Frame. It allows
> dictation into a variety of programs.

I currently have Via Voice 98 Home Edition and I HATE it.

I don't have a particularly strong Southern accent, but it constantly says
"pardon me?" because it has no clue what I'm saying.

Just to tell you, here's what VV rendered:
"The first major science here was and Italy. Fetch our core of the first of
lefty clips to Laura."

The correct sentence is:
"The first major sonneteer was in Italy. Petrarch wrote the first sonnet
sequence to Laura."

Now, I could understand missing sonneteer and Petrarch, but wrote, sonnet
and seqence?

Maybe it's improved since this version, but my understanding is that all
voice recognition software is woefully inadequate for everyday use.