Drought in TW Job Market

Subject: Drought in TW Job Market
From: TechWriter <tech_writer2000 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwhirl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:05:32 -0700 (PDT)

In a few months, I will be finishing up a technical
writing contract in Winston-Salem, NC. I'd like to
stay in the market but that may not be possible.

In looking at the major job sites like headhunter,
monster, hotjobs, dice, and even techwhirl, I've found
that the technical writing market seems to be drying
up here and in the smaller cities.

In areas such as Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte, there
are writing jobs available, but not the abundance of
jobs that were offered just months ago.

Do you think that the market for technical writing has
possibly reached its peak and is starting to stabilize
or is this just a precursor of things to come? I know
we all need to keep our skills up-to-date but I'm
finding more jobs for web design, database developers,
testers, programmers, etc.

In my search for a new job in such a small town, this
is very discouraging. My options are to move or find
another career if things don't change soon. Are there
others that do not live in metropolitan areas who are
noticing this same trend?

TIA,
Candace
tech_writer2000 -at- yahoo -dot- com