Drought in TW Job Market

Subject: Drought in TW Job Market
From: tech_writer2000 -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 19:28:53

Please pardon the duplicate message. My messages are not posting to the
list. Now that I'm out of lurk mode:

In a few months, I will be finishing up a technical writing contract in
Winston-Salem, NC. I'd like to stay in the market but that may not be
possible.

In looking at the major job sites like headhunter, monster, hotjobs, dice,
and even techwhirl, I've found that the technical writing market seems to
be drying up here and in the smaller cities.

In areas such as Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte, there are writing jobs
available, but not the abundance of jobs that were offered just months
ago.

Do you think that the market for technical writing has possibly reached its
peak and is starting to stabilize or is this just a precursor of things to
come? I know we all need to keep our skills up-to-date but I'm
finding more jobs for web design, database developers, testers,
programmers, etc.

In my search for a new job in such a small town, this is very discouraging.
My options are to move or find another career if things don't change soon.
Are there others that do not live in metropolitan areas who are noticing
this same trend?

TIA,
Candace
tech_writer2000 -at- yahoo -dot- com