Re: New writer needing advice

Subject: Re: New writer needing advice
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 12:59:03 EDT

Michael West <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com> is being a bit hard on Andrew this time, I
think. In the situation under discussion (company has laid of four of the six
writers, writer #5 quit as a result, leaving a newbie to finish two
1,000-page manual revisions in two months), Andrew's tactic, "write like
hell," is clearly the only one to adopt.

Moreover, Michael wrote, "I would try to find out whether quality is
important to the company that intends to market this product." I don't think
we need to design a survey for this one 8^) This company obviously doesn't
give a damn about the quality of their documentation. In this case there's no
way to achieve good results, and I say the company *doesn't deserve it and
shouldn't get it*. Reading about companies that do things like this makes me
want to stand on a desk holding up a sign that says "UNION." (And I'm
management 8^)

On the other hand, in a later message, Andrew himself <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
wrote: "Probably some day I too will sing the praise of risk-avoiding things
like process methodologies." I know precisely when he will start to sing: the
day he completes one of his famous ass-busting jobs as a chaotic startup, and
the management says, "This is not what we wanted" and stiffs him on the
invoice.

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager (Typo? What tpyo?)
Lightbridge, Inc., 67 South Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
mailto:jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902 [voice]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://members.aol.com/SteveFJong