Re: New writer needing advice

Subject: Re: New writer needing advice
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 19:17:15 -0700

"Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com> wrote:

>If you read carefully, you'll notice that Plato's advice is
>based on the premises that (1) a quick and dirty user
>assistance package is "getting the job done", and (2)
>that quality is a "frou-frou".

While I loathe doingo anything less than my best work, sometimes
the only satisfaction you can get from a job is that you
delivered it on time.

A couple of years ago, I took a two month contract. Almost
immediately, the deadline changed to two weeks. The manual was

about 300 pages.

I almost went crazy, and I did little else for those two weeks,
but I made the deadline. The result wasn't my finest hour, but it
wasn't altogether despicable, either. At least I'd proved my
ability to organize and to deliver under difficult circumstances.
I'd been professional, if nothing else. I also gained some
persepctive, because no other deadline since has ever seemed too
bad.

In the end, pulling off that caper resulted in another two years'
work for me, and nine months for a sub-contractor. I also got a
great bullet point for my resume. Almost all the interviewers who
bother to read my resume remark on it, and are impressed by it.
And, of course, I got a great war story.

I can't say I'd want to go through that pressure again. However,
I am proud that I met the challenge. Maybe quick and dirty jobs
aren't as satisfying as doing my best work, but this one did have
its own compensations.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"There's a bully in the alley: he'll do his worst,
There's a bully in the alley: he won't fear your curse,
There's a bully in the alley: get your boot in first,
That's what they tell us."
- Oyster Band, "Bully in the Alley"