Drought in TW Job Market

Subject: Drought in TW Job Market
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 19:29:32 -0700

tech_writer2000 -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:

>Do you think that the market for technical writing has possibly reached its
>peak and is starting to stabilize or is this just a precursor of things to
>come? I know we all need to keep our skills up-to-date but I'm
>finding more jobs for web design, database developers,
>testers, programmers, etc.

I know nothing about your area. It's also possible that, with an
unstable stock market, companies are cutting back on
expenditures, and tech-writers are among the first positions to
go. However, I seriously doubt that there's any draught. If other
high-tech positions are available, the odds are that tech-writing
jobs are, too.

It's a truism that most jobs are never advertised, of course. But
it may also be that HR departments and consulting companies are
advertising in other places than the internet, or economizing on
things like ads without reducing hires. Possibly, too, they are
tired of being deluged by resumes that aren't even remotely what
they need.

Before jumping to the conclusion that there's a draught, make a
list of local companies. Check their web sites and do some cold
calls. These exercises should give you as strong a sense of the
local market as it's possible to get.

My hunch is that you'll find the market much better than you
fear.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"There's a bully in the alley: he'll do his worst,
There's a bully in the alley: he won't fear your curse,
There's a bully in the alley: get your boot in first,
That's what they tell us."
- Oyster Band, "Bully in the Alley"