Installation - separate book in documentation suite?

Subject: Installation - separate book in documentation suite?
From: Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:27:51 -0400

At present we have a documentation suite consisting of nine books, each
addressing the needs of a different audience.

Each book contains a chapter with instructions for installing, changing,
and removing the software. The chapters are virtually identical from book
to book, but there are slight differences for each audience. For example,
there's a "Components" dialog in the install wizard in which each audience
needs to choose a different combination of components.

We're considering removing the chapters from the individual books, and
creating a separate installation booklet instead. Having a separate book
would make it easier for us to update the instructions, because we'd only
have to do it once, but it might mean slightly more inconvenience for our
users.

Does anyone out there have any advice on this? We'll obviously try to get
some feedback on our users' preferences, but I suspect there won't be a
clear-cut preference either way. Are there any pros or cons to a separate
book that we should know about?

Thanks in advance.

Gilda Spitz
Manager, Documentation