RE: Installation - separate book in documentation suite?

Subject: RE: Installation - separate book in documentation suite?
From: jarnopol <jarnopol -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 00 09:37:53 -0500

Gilda has some questions about installation instructions.
<snip>
>Each book contains a chapter with instructions for installing, changing,
>and removing the software. The chapters are virtually identical from book
>to book, but there are slight differences for each audience. For example,
>there's a "Components" dialog in the install wizard in which each audience
>needs to choose a different combination of components.
<snip>

Off hand, I'd say a lot of this has to do with what platform your software
runs on. If it's client/server, I would certainly provide a separate
installation guide for the sysadmin who does the server installation.

On the other hand, if it runs on individual PCs, I think you can get away with
a single installation guide making sure you tell the users if there is
something they are NOT going to have access to for whatever reason (security
level, version of product, etc.)

Just mho,
jarnopol