At what point do you include the Information Plan?

Subject: At what point do you include the Information Plan?
From: "Cathy De Rubeis" <de_rubeis -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:13:53 GMT

Hi,

I am 4 months into my first technical writing job and my team is working on a new version of our software. I want to develop an Information and Content plans for this version.

The project manager of this project told me the development of an Information plan would occur after the Design documents had been developed. These Design documents include step by step instructions on a specific product requirement including screenshots. Thus, I was told, we would write documentation as the developers write code.

Questions
Do you think the Information plan should be part of a "frozen" Product Requirements document?
Is there enough information in a Product Requirements document to develop an Information Plan?
Is it the norm for Design documents to be so extensive in documenting how a procedure works?
Where does the work of the developer end and the job of the technical writer begin?
Do you think introducing an Information Plan after the Design documents are completed is too late in the process?

Thanks,
Cathy De Rubeis