Re: FW: Conditional Chaptering

Subject: Re: FW: Conditional Chaptering
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 02:04:42 -0400

Michael Little wrote:

> [Michael Little] Hello,
> I am posting this on behalf of some-one who is trying to figure out how to
> apply FM6 conditional test to [Michael Little] chapters in a book
> file...where [Michael Little] ....
>
> A book consists of the following documents done in Framemaker 6.0:
>
> Cover
> TOC
> Chapter 1
> Chapter 2
> Chapter 3 (Scenario A)
> Chapter 3 (Scenario B)
> Chapter 4
> Chapter 5
> Chapter 6
>
> of which Chapter 3 has 2 versions (Scenario A and Scenario B). I need to be
> able to print the Book with Scenario A of Chapter 3, or Scenario B of
> Chapter 3.

There may be an easier way, but I once did something along these lines with
Frame's batch utility (fmbatch?) and the Unix 'make' program. I had perhaps
15 chapters which combined in various combinations into four books. I could
type 'make', go for coffee (early 90's machine), and return to find all the
books built, including TOC and index generation.

Make has a file of rules like:

adminguide: overview netadmin systemadmin contacts
fmbatch ..whatever...

This says that adminguide depends on the four files to the right of the
colon and you build adminguide by executing an fmbatch command.

Type 'make adminguide' and if any file to the right of the colon has
been altered since admiguide was last built, then the fmbatch command
runs. If none of the source files have changed, it does nothing.

You can also have a rule like:

all: adminguide userguide installguide

So 'make all' will build everything.

If you're stuck with Windows, there are several commercial versions
of make available for it, and a good free one from:

http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/