Re: voice recognition tools

Subject: Re: voice recognition tools
From: "Patricia Gray" <Patricia_Gray -at- notes -dot- teradyne -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:27:57 -0400

<<
I appreciate seeing the remarks by voice-recognition users.

However, I'm betting that most of you who use the software
in your work are managers, independents, or others who have
separate offices with actual walls and doors. Yes?

Is anybody happily involved with voice software on a daily
basis, AND living in the cube farm with the rest of the
prairie dogs (with many of the neighboring prairie dogs
also using the software)?

ALSO, those of you who use it and are happy with it,
are you using headsets, or is your mike on your desk?

When I first bought my voice recognition software (Dragon), I was working in a
separate office. Since my division moved to a new site, I now work in a cubicle
(No one has a separate office and the conference rooms do not have PCs). Though
I use a headset, I have encountered many problems. I now have more voice
recognition errors because the microphone is picking up noises from neighboring
cubicles, conversations several cubicles away, door slams, etc. Adjusting the
microphone volume or positioning doesn't help because the volume is too low for
accurate recognition. It has become so frustrating that I now work later hours
when it's quieter.

Patricia
Teradyne, Inc.