Re: voice recognition tools

Subject: Re: voice recognition tools
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Patricia Gray <Patricia_Gray -at- notes -dot- teradyne -dot- com>, "List, Techwriter" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:36:50 -0700 (PDT)

Have you tried the microphones that pick up the sound from your neck
rather than your mouth. I'd have to do some research, but you know
the kind I'm talking about...it wraps around your neck and has two
pickups that sit on your throat.

I'd also imagin that this kind of mic is much more expensive...I
guess it depends on how important the capability is.

> When I first bought my voice recognition software (Dragon), I was
> working in a
> separate office. Since my division moved to a new site, I now work
> in a cubicle
> (No one has a separate office and the conference rooms do not have
> PCs). Though
> I use a headset, I have encountered many problems. I now have more
> voice
> recognition errors because the microphone is picking up noises from
> neighboring
> cubicles, conversations several cubicles away, door slams, etc.
> Adjusting the
> microphone volume or positioning doesn't help because the volume is
> too low for
> accurate recognition. It has become so frustrating that I now work
> later hours when it's quieter.

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer