Re: voice recognition tools

Subject: Re: voice recognition tools
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:30:17 -0700

> KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:

> Jeez! Where do YOU live?
>
> Back in those unfondly-remembered days that I commuted by bus,
> I made the tactical error of not living at a bus terminus.
> By the time I got on a bus, it was shoulder-to-shoulder...
> or whatever some of those protuberances were...

Well, these days, my telecommuting is by plane, and, while
economy class is crowded, I suspect you get a better class of
commuter.

However, in the days that I schlepped myself to the bus and on to
the rapid transit system, "Don't make eye contact" was the first
rule. Anybody who looked the least strange miraculously got all
they room they wanted, even if everyone was jammed shoulder to
shoulder a moment before. It helped if the strange-looking one
was holding an imaginary argument.

Of course, telecommuting does mean that I'm no longer aware of
the prevailing hygiene standards, since I'm no longer jammed
against three dozen strangers who I'd rather keep that way.
Somehow, though, I think I can live without that knowledge.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"'O 'Melia, my dear, this does everything crown!
Who could have supposed I should meet you in Town?
And whence such fair garments, such prosperi-ty?' --
'O didn't you know I'd been ruined?' says she."
-Thomas Hardy, "The Ruined Maid"