RE: Two computer and never going back

Subject: RE: Two computer and never going back
From: Darriel Dawne <ddawne -at- infowave -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:12:08 -0700

John wrote:
> I can't tell you how much easier it is to write about an application
> when you don't have to switch back and forth on the same machine. The
> instructions are faster to write, they are more accurate, and I'm
> writing about aspects of the application that I hadn't addressed
> previously.
>
> By all means, petition your management for two workstations...it
> isn't just a luxury.

I totally agree John. I must be lucky. Through a circumstance and
persistence I have a laptop, a workstation, a server and a couple PDA's to
work with. QA got very tired of my strain on their resources, and management
decided that it was more productive if I had all the tools and applications
I'd be documenting available.

I've got the laptop, workstation and server all hooked up through a CPU
switch, so I have only one monitor, keyboard and mouse to contend with.

I've saved everyone time and increased the accuracy of my documents because
I had a server which I was able to run the installs on (instead of taking
notes while a developer or QA did it) and all the devices which our products
run on. It also helped on those very late nights when I needed to stay and
document, but there was no one else around. :-)

The machines I have might not be the best or the fastest, but the get the
job that I need to do done.
(the Ramones on the headphones also helps)

Darriel