Documentation for Service Oriented Companies

Subject: Documentation for Service Oriented Companies
From: "Techwhirl Reader" <techwhirl -at- mail -dot- technicalcommunication -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:22:16 -0700

Hello all,

Does anyone out there have any experiences to share working as a technical communicator in a service oriented technology company?

By service oriented I mean the type of software company that isn't geared towards producing software applications, but rather towards showing other companies how to better their software, or to create better software. In this case, web applications--to help software companies become ASPs... (Picture a 'project team' visiting a client site, evaluating the problem, coming up with a plan, and then developing the solution).

I'm trying to find out what to look out for, what to focus on, pitfalls, glories, etc. I've only had experience in a products-oriented environment as a technical communicator. I'm interested to see the difference.

Any input out there? Anyone currently working for such a company?

Thanks!

Imran Zaidi.