RE: Saving FrameMaker TOC in pdf Format--Problem Solved

Subject: RE: Saving FrameMaker TOC in pdf Format--Problem Solved
From: "Plotsky, Danya M. (LNG-MBC)" <Danya -dot- M -dot- Plotsky -at- bender -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:38:34 -0400

Thanks to all who responded to my plea for help.

The problem:

I am running FrameMaker 5.5 on Windows NT. I've created a book file
(approximately 300 pages total) containing the following files:

Title page
TOC (generated)
15 (individual)chapters
2 (individual) appendixes
Index (generated)

Our printer requires documents in pdf format. I initally tried to save the
entire book in pdf format, but received a message that the first file (i.e.,
the title page) couldn't be opened. Thus, I decided to generated the book
and then save each file individually in pdf format and combine them later
via Acrobat. Great. Except for the TOC. When I try to save it in pdf format,
I receive a message re: "Internal Error 5564, 5991365, 7502299, 0" and
FrameMaker quits. I do not have this same problem with the Index.

Can anyone shed light on why this may be happening and how to rectify? (I'd
also appreciate any insight re: why I couldn't save the entire book as pdf
in this first place [as I've been able to do with shorter books], and thus
avoid this frustration altogether!)

The solution...

...at least the first one I tried that worked (thanks Kay!) was selecting to
print only the TOC from the book file, printing it to Distiller, then
opening the ps file in Distiller to create the pdf.

Many thanks again!

Danya M. Plotsky
Technical Communications Coordinator
Matthew Bender, a part of LEXIS Publishing
Danya -dot- M -dot- Plotsky -at- bender -dot- com