Converting text into tables

Subject: Converting text into tables
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: "'parametrica -at- listbot -dot- com'" <parametrica -at- listbot -dot- com>, 'STC Lone Writer SIG' <stclwrsig-l -at- stc -dot- org>, "'HATT -at- egroups -dot- com'" <HATT -at- egroups -dot- com>, 'no bull list' <no-bull-techcomm -at- egroups -dot- com>, 'Tech Comm List' <techcomm -at- user -dot- itconsult -dot- co -dot- uk>, 'Tech Writers List' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, 'Winhelp List' <WINHLP-L -at- ADMIN -dot- HUMBERC -dot- ON -dot- CA>, "'WORD-PC -at- LISTSERV -dot- LIV -dot- AC -dot- UK'" <WORD-PC -at- LISTSERV -dot- LIV -dot- AC -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:54:42 -0500

I have a text file of a directory that is 42 pages long. The following
is a sample of the data I'm working with:
NAME DESCRIPTION LAST
REVISION DOCUMENT TYPE
000#0001 Standard HELP Phrases
01/04/95 FFTAS400
<snip>

I'm familiar with converting text to tables using Word if you have a
separator, but in this case, there is nothing to separate the columns.
Is there a way to take this information and put it into Word with the
above four columns and to add a fifth column for a date formatted as
09/12/2000. I need this column so I can sort by it. I tried copying and
pasting my .txt file into Excel, but it put everything in one column
(A). I'm trying to avoid manual manipulation, but that's the way I'm
heading.

> Ideas, suggestions, comments, solutions, etc. appreciated.
Paul Hanson
Quintrex Data Systems
http://www.quintrex.com