RE: Documentation for Service Oriented Companies

Subject: RE: Documentation for Service Oriented Companies
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'Techwhirl Reader'" <techwhirl -at- mail -dot- technicalcommunication -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:56:42 -0400

Imran Zaidi wonders <<Does anyone out there have any experiences to share
working as a technical communicator in a service oriented technology
company? By service oriented I mean the type of software company that isn't
geared towards producing software applications, but rather towards showing
other companies how to better their software, or to create better
software.>>

At FERIC, I work in a similar environment; we do problem-solving forestry
research to help our clients improve their forestry operations. The most
important thing we've learned is the importance of keeping closely in touch
with as many clients as possible so that we understand their needs and can
respond appropriately. Also so that we can adapt as their needs change.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer