Re: Converting text into tables

Subject: Re: Converting text into tables
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "Paul Hanson" <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:43:20 -0500

About all you can do is to replace the spaces with a tab (in other words,
the "Find What" is five spaces, if that's the correct number, and the
"Replace With" is a single tab character).

A shortcut that many people, at least in my experience, don't know about
is the vertical selection in Word. Hold the Alt key while you select down
in a straight line. It's great for eliminating columns, bad spacing in
lists, etc. For example, a document has a bullet list in which someone
spaced once before each bullet instead of properly adjusting the margin:

<sp> * item
<sp> * item

I use the vertical select to select only the spaces <sp> in the list, then
click delete just one time to get this:

* item
* item

The easiest, of course, is the search-and-replace, but the vertical select
feature may help you, too.

Jane Bergen