Re: voice recognition tools

Subject: Re: voice recognition tools
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 07:43:35 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Well, these days, my telecommuting is by plane, and, while
> economy class is crowded, I suspect you get a better class of
> commuter.
>
> However, in the days that I schlepped myself to the bus and on to
> the rapid transit system, "Don't make eye contact" was the first
> rule. Anybody who looked the least strange miraculously got all
> they room they wanted, even if everyone was jammed shoulder to
> shoulder a moment before. It helped if the strange-looking one
> was holding an imaginary argument.
>
> Of course, telecommuting does mean that I'm no longer aware of
> the prevailing hygiene standards, since I'm no longer jammed
> against three dozen strangers who I'd rather keep that way.
> Somehow, though, I think I can live without that knowledge.

Now I see why Bruce and I had an exchange about fellow telecommuters
watching. I thought he was being flippant. I was even more so. We have
been using a different definition for telecommuting. My understanding of
the term "telecommuting" is found at www.dictionery.com :

"The practice of working at home and communicating with your fellow
workers through the phone, typically with a computer and modem.
Telecommuting saves the employee getting to and from work and saves the
employer from supplying support services such as heating and cleaning,
but it can also deprive the worker of social contact and support."

(1995-01-05)

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity," - Einstein-