Online manual: installation, password protection?

Subject: Online manual: installation, password protection?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'Kelly Williamson'" <kwcwtech -at- iwaynet -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:55:41 -0400

Kelly Williamson has <<... created an online manual (WebHelp) which will be
distributed on CD (standalone). I would like to have it install
automatically when users put the CD in the drive, place an icon on their
desktop, and prompt for a
password when they launch the manual. Does anyone know how to accomplish
these things?>>

Getting software to run automatically from a CD requires that you include an
autorun.inf file on the CD. A really basic file might look like the
following:
[autorun]
open=snagit\setup.exe
(This is the script that runs the installer for SnagIt, whichis a perfectly
wonderful screenshot program.) You can get more sophisticated, but I haven't
looked into the matter beyond this step. We've used both the Wise installer
and InstallShield to create installation scripts at one point or another,
and both seem to work just fine. Both should also permit password protection
of the installation.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer