Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: Barry Kieffer <bkieffer -at- ims -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:59:08 -0700 (PDT)

> Bonita White <bwhite -at- youcentric -dot- com> writes:
> I have just been told that all documentation must be approved by
> MARKETING. Yes, you read correctly, approved by MARKETING. The new VP
> believes that he can best decide on matters of layout, font and the
> like. He wants to make sure that the manual "conveys the correct
> spin." Well, needless to say, I am horrified.

I have herd this many times, and often on this list.

The belief that marketing is just a bunch of spin-misters is hog-wash. Most of the
marketing people I have known were all power users of the application or equipment.

No, I am not talking about the artsy marketing person who creates the advertisements or
silly posters. I am talking about the marketing people who know and sell the stuff.

Why not give marketing the final say? Marketing has the responsibility for positioning
the product - NOT us technical writers.

If marketing comes back to us and says: "Don't call it a "figamajig" that is what our
competitors call it - we want to separate ourselves; call it a "bamdozel". Ahh, who
cares. As long as the end user can use it, who cares what "spin" marketing puts on it.

By all means; give marketing the respect they deserve. Allow marketing the final say.

And no, I do not work in marketing. At IMS, tech writers are part of engineering.

Best regards, and I hope this helps some to see marketing in a new way.

Barry Kieffer
Senior Technical Writer
Integrated Measurement Systems, Inc.
Beaverton, Oregon