Usability Testing of Web Sites

Subject: Usability Testing of Web Sites
From: "EXT-Hornoi-Centerwall, Theodore" <Theodore -dot- Hornoi-Centerwall -at- PSS -dot- Boeing -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>, "'David Orr'" <dorr -at- ORRNET -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:27:29 -0700

David Orr was understood to write on Sept. 13, 2000 at 9:10 AM
as part of another thread:

<material snipped>

> Marketing people are driving the
> burgeoning trend toward usability testing of Web sites.

<material snipped>

Would anyone care to comment on this? What usability testing is currently going on with Web sites, and does anyone have experience with marketing driving this?

Without evidence to support David Orr's assertion (articles in technical publications, for example, or anecdotal experience) it is difficult to accept.

If that impression is incorrect, the knowledgeable members on this list will give us some current information on the status of usability testing and marketing's role in it.

Please note! I am _not_ trying to start an exchange of vituperative invective. ;-) Just really interested in knowing what is going on in usability testing of Web sites.

Thanks!

Ted Hornoi-Centerwall
Technical Writer, COMSYS
Theodore -dot- Hornoi-Centerwall -at- Boeing -dot- com

The opinions expressed here are mine and not (as far as I am aware) those of my employer, customer, or colleagues.