RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:38:31 -0400

To mimic another post: why? why? why? when will Techwriters learn.....

What does it matter who gets added to the final acceptance of the manuals? Also,
why shouldn't marketing have a say? If they control the corporate image
policies, then they are indeed the highest authority when it comes to fonts,
layouts, uses of logos, etc. Why shouldn't all company documentation have the
same look and feel? And if you agree that it should, then why shouldn't it be
marketing that has that control?

On this list, members repeatedly whine that techwriters never get any respect.
Yet turn around and refuse to grant other departments and specialties the
respect that they deserve. It's amazing. Everything isn't a battle of US vs.
THEM. Not only that, but the generalization about departments and titles, when
they can vary enormously from company to company, is just purely unprofessional.
If a techwriter can be called a dozen different things and perform a dozen
different tasks, why can't a member of another department be in a similar
position?

To top it all off, with little or no information as to the level of involvement
or the difficulty of the work situation, already we have calls of "Get your
resume ready...". Please. Then we wonder where Scott Adams got the personality
for Tina the Techwriter.

If we want others to cooperate with us, we must cooperate with them.

Eric L. Dunn