RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "Bonita White" <bwhite -at- youcentric -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:51:12 -0700

Bonita White wrote:

| Some may remember my post from several weeks ago when I was told that
| the end user manual needed a "marketing spin." Well, I'm back.
|
| I have just been told that all documentation must be approved by
| MARKETING. Yes, you read correctly, approved by MARKETING. The new VP
| believes that he can best decide on matters of layout, font and the
| like. He wants to make sure that the manual "conveys the correct
|
| spin." Well, needless to say, I am horrified.

Why? In general, it's a good thing, not a bad thing, to have marketing
involved in the documentation process. When I work with clients, I usually
try to get the marketing people involved.

Marketing groups often *do* have contributors with more knowledge and
experience in the areas you mention (book design, layout, typography, etc.).
In addition, it is marketing's job to understand the customer and the
overall positioning of the product. I have seen only a few projects that
could not benefit from quality input from the marketing group.

Regards,

D.

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415.550.8367
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Certified RoboHELP Instructor & Consultant
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Member, RoboHELP Community Advisory Board
Co-moderator, HATT list (http://www.egroups.com/group/hatt)