Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:01:36 -0500

A girlfriend said to me, something like this: If every tech. writer that was a
FT employee acted as if they were a consultant for that company they would do a
better job, and kiss more butt.

As a consultant I would have to say that YES, you do do X, or get out of that
job. The client, or boss is ALWAYS right. A petty example would be that even if
you know that the color scheme they want for their online help sucks and is
ugly, you try and educate them, but if they insist, you just pony up. Those of
us (Plato is a fantastic example with his grampa car, a Mercedes) who are
successful and make as much as GP physician earn a reputation for kissing butt
even if we disagree. You swallow your opinions, just like you do when a
political candidate gets elected that you don't like.

Where this whole discussion started was that Bonita doesn't want marketing in
charge of her stuff, and it appears from her post that she hasn't even given
marketing a try, so she doesn't know how good or bad their advice may be.

Bonita also seemed to have some skewed opinion that "marketing" is a lesser form
of intelligent writing. Having done every type of writing under the sun, I
believe that if writing is your passion and you are a writer you can take pride
in whatever type of writing you produce, if, of course, you're a good writer.

Michele