re: Two computer and never going back

Subject: re: Two computer and never going back
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:07:29 -0700

John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>I can't tell you how much easier it is to write about an application
>when you don't have to switch back and forth on the same machine. The
>instructions are faster to write, they are more accurate, and I'm
>writing about aspects of the application that I hadn't addressed
>previously.

Must be "two computer time" in social evolution. I've been
enjoying the benefit of two computers in my work, too. If
anything, I'm using my laptop at home as much as on the road
(it's also useful when your partner insists that she wants to go
on line and check her e-mail and you still want to work).

Two monitors can have many of the same benefits as two machines,
as David Berg and Allan Miller point out. However, I can see at
least two drawbacks.

First, when documenting, I'm often using software that is still
in development. On two machines, I don't have to worry about side
effects (like system crashes) bringing down my documentation
program.

Second, all flavours of Windows seem prone to memory leaks when
you're constantly switching between several programs - say the
program you're documenting, the program you're writing in, your
screen capture program, and the graphics program that you use to
touch up screen shots. Sooner or later, the system freezes or
crashes, especially on Windows 95/98. Or such is my experience.
Using two machines avoids this problem.

Of course, these days, 90% of my work is done in Linux, so these
problems don't concern me very much. But two computers is
certainly a useful luxury.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"'O 'Melia, my dear, this does everything crown!
Who could have supposed I should meet you in Town?
And whence such fair garments, such prosperi-ty?' --
'O didn't you know I'd been ruined?' says she."
-Thomas Hardy, "The Ruined Maid"