RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: david -at- knopf -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:11:03 PDT

I can tell you I have often wished Marketing did have some input in my manuals. When I started this job 2 years ago, they did commission new cover design, but book design as such? Never even looked at it, and never had before. Now I'm a pro. I know how to organize information, and I do have a good eye and some understanding of layout. I'm happy with the results and so is everyone else. But it might be nice to have design input from someone whose speciality it is.

However, if you mean approving the content itself, and editing your writing style, that seems a little weird. It's also going to add extra time to your review cycle.

Have fun,

Maggie Secara

"Wouldn't it be wondrous if perfectly
commonplace people gave each other a round
of applause at the end of the day?"

Oh and yes, The Elizabethan World is still at http://ren.dm.net

From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>

Bonita White wrote:

| Some may remember my post from several weeks ago when I was told that
| the end user manual needed a "marketing spin." Well, I'm back.
|
| I have just been told that all documentation must be approved by
| MARKETING. Yes, you read correctly, approved by MARKETING. The new VP
| believes that he can best decide on matters of layout, font and the
| like. He wants to make sure that the manual "conveys the correct
|
| spin." Well, needless to say, I am horrified.

Why? In general, it's a good thing, not a bad thing, to have marketing
involved in the documentation process. When I work with clients, I usually
try to get the marketing people involved.

Marketing groups often *do* have contributors with more knowledge and
experience in the areas you mention (book design, layout, typography, etc.).
In addition, it is marketing's job to understand the customer and the
overall positioning of the product. I have seen only a few projects that
could not benefit from quality input from the marketing group.

Regards