RE: What in the heck do you call this thing?

Subject: RE: What in the heck do you call this thing?
From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: "'Leslie Johnson (Wasser)'" <a-leslij -at- microsoft -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:59:28 -0400

I have a problem with "task manager" the problem is that there is an actual
exe in the Windows directory in Win9x called taskman.exe. If run, it shows
currently running tasks and allows you to launch new applications by way of
a "Run Application" drop down from the File menu. The Alt+Tab functionality
ONLY switches you between tasks. It does not allow you to start new
applications, but merely switches you between currently running ones.

I do honestly seem to remember that this was referred to as the "Fast Tab"
or "Task Switcher." But, again, my memory and age being what they are...

<snip>
According to the MS Manual of Style, it's either the Task Manager (although
that's becoming the standard for the dialog and not the action), or it's
called an "Alt+Tab shortcut menu". It doesn't ever come out and *say* that's
what it is, though, so you have to infer the meaning.

HTH,
Leslie Johnson
</snip>