RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Humbird, Len" <len -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>, "List, Techwriter" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:23:47 -0700 (PDT)

> > I did multi-million dollar (50 million - 100 million dollars)
> > proposals, which are more responsible for selling than user
> > documentation. I usually took my lead from someone else, usually
> > marketing.
>
> I believe Boita said this was user manuals being developed. Now
> unless
> someone changed the rules on me while I was cave-dwelling, manuals
> are
> shipped with the product AFTER it has been marketed and sold. It
> is a rare

Not necessarily. We just completed four manuals and three helps being
shipped with our limited release, expiration-timed-license, pre-sale
package. These people haven't given us money yet (letters of intent,
no money), yet they will have our documentation.

Besides...my point in the paragraph was to enforce that if marketing
can have input in documentation with so much more at stake, she's
shouldn't worry that their input into a user documentation is going
to screw up a 3 mil sale.

> occasion where a manual is considered marcom material. That's
> because
> people don't read them unless they have a problem to be solved.

And if while they are using the manual to solve a problem that might
not have been the application's fault but maybe a Windows or network
problem (crummy network backup), find out that their company has a
software application that prevents the error from happening in the
first place, is that all bad? Of course, this has to be applied
judisciously, but user documentation CAN, under the right conditions,
create selling opportunities.

> help the user solve a problem.
or prevent the problem from ever occuring.

> purpose and strength of marketing: to making your product look
> better than
> the competition's, regardless of what the truth is.

My experienc with professional marketers is not the same as yours.

> As for typography, layout, and color scheme, let Marketing have
> some say.
> But if you want to earn your paycheck, then stand up for what you
> believe is
> the right direction for your documentation.

How far do you take this? You have an opinion...they have a different
opinion. You tell your side. They tell theirs. You want Arial 12pt
for H3, they want Eras Demi ITC 14pt. Do you quit if you can't have
your way?

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer