RE: What in the heck do you call this thing?

Subject: RE: What in the heck do you call this thing?
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:33:33 PDT

Yes, the Task Manager is something else entirely. In Windows NT, it's one choice on the Security dialog that pops up when you do Ctrl-Alt-Delete. It also shows system usage, and what process are running as well as open applications. In Windows 98, it's just a dialog showing all current applications, running or stalled. In both, it lets you shut down any app that has stopped responding without having to reboot the whole thing.

If this whole list doesn't know what else to call Alt+Tab, then as someone else said, you'd be better off writing around the need to call it anything. Your readers probably won't recognize whatever term you choose.

You can use Alt+Tab to toggle between two applications, as well as to choose from all the apps running. If you want to direct the user to do the toggle thing, why not say something like "Press Alt+Tab to return to the Gonzo application."

Just a thought,

Maggie Secara

From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:59:28 -0400

I have a problem with "task manager" the problem is that there is an actual
exe in the Windows directory in Win9x called taskman.exe. If run, it shows
currently running tasks and allows you to launch new applications by way of
a "Run Application" drop down from the File menu. The Alt+Tab functionality
ONLY switches you between tasks. It does not allow you to start new
applications, but merely switches you between currently running ones.

I do honestly seem to remember that this was referred to as the "Fast Tab"
or "Task Switcher." But, again, my memory and age being what they are...