Re: [Fwd: [OT] Re: Press release - here we go again!]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: [OT] Re: Press release - here we go again!]
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:42:25 -0700

Sandy Harris wrote:

> This turned up on the Linux kernel develoer's list, during a dicussion of
> the press release for the forthcoming 2.4 kernel.

[snip]

> 5) Even better would be to obtain the services of a PR firm used to
> dealing with high-tech questions -- if you would like a list of potential
> sponsors I can poll the IPG to see who might be likely candidates. Off the
> top of my head, I would recommend Pam Alexander, Hastings & Humbolt, Marty
> Winston, and S&S.

Most of the points made here are worth considering, but I'm not
so sure about this one. My experience of dealing with PR firms is
that I can get the same results without the added work of
educating them about the company, the product, and the market. I
also find that I have to adjust the tone of a PR firm's generic
hype to make it suitable for the market.

Does anyone else have an opinion on using PR firms? Is my
experience unique, or do most people find PR firms more trouble
than they're worth?

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux