Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:50:22 -0700

John Posada wrote:

> A product usualy has a Product Manager. He is usualy on the marketing
> side. The product manager is responsible for everything that is part
> of his product and manuals are part of the product..they are not THE
> product.

As someone who makes a substantial part of his living as a
product manager, I'd like to qualify this statement. A product
manager, at least as I see the role, has to be balanced between
the technical and the marketing side. On the one hand, you have
to have some in-depth knowledge of the product, as well as
something about product development cycles and what motivates the
geeks. On the other, you have to be aware of any rival products
or companies, and know something about marketing and production.
This balance is what makes product management a natural extension
of technical writing for me.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"'O 'Melia, my dear, this does everything crown!
Who could have supposed I should meet you in Town?
And whence such fair garments, such prosperi-ty?' --
'O didn't you know I'd been ruined?' says she."
-Thomas Hardy, "The Ruined Maid"