And now for something totally controversial...

Subject: And now for something totally controversial...
From: Roger Shuttleworth <RShuttleworth -at- Executivetechnologies -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:08:37 -0400

For some weeks I have been monitoring this list (I believe the technical
term is "lurking"), and have been slowly formulating a hypothesis as I skip
through the messages. I tend to glance at the title of the message and
ignore the name of the sender, and an impression has been forming as I do
so. I can now fairly confidently predict (with at least an 80% accuracy
rate) from the first few sentences of a message whether the sender is male
or female (going by the name, which of course is ambiguous in some cases).
At this point I am reluctant to mention the criteria that I feel are
significant, but it would be interesting to hear from other subscribers
their views about the following:

Whether they too have noticed a similar distinction.
What the distinguishing criteria may be.
How these differences (if they are real) may affect the documents that we
produce.
How they may affect our audiences.

Or maybe this is just a canard? Anyway, I intend to keep my head down for a
few days!

Roger Shuttleworth
Executive Manufacturing Technologies
140-4026 Meadowbrook Drive
London, ON
N6L 1C8
Canada

Tel. 519 652-7677
Fax 519 652-7678
e-mail rshuttleworth -at- visualplant -dot- com
www.visualplant.com