RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:11:41 PDT

From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:44:24 -0400

Maggie Secara said:

> I can tell you I have often wished Marketing did have some
> input in my
> manuals. When I started this job 2 years ago, they did
> commission new cover
> design, but book design as such? Never even looked at it, and
> never had
> before. Now I'm a pro. I know how to organize information,
> and I do have a
> good eye and some understanding of layout.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I assumed that most technical writing training
programs (conferences, workshops, college degrees, etc.) devoted at least
some time to the layout and organization of a manual. I know that I had an
entire college course devoted to "Design of Manuals."

Ah but see, I'm just an old fashioned English major, and I do mean old fashioned. When I was in school, there was no computer science department, never mind a technical writing program. So what I know about design and layout I've picked up in all sorts of places, from some very talented people. I do have a good eye and better than half a brain, but no formal training in design.

I'm not one of those who says that a writer shouldn't have to know these things. I like doing layout. I just know where my strengths are, and where to use someone else's.

Everyone has his or her cross-eyed bear.

Cheers,

Maggie Secara

"Wouldn't it be wondrous if perfectly
commonplace people gave each other a round
of applause at the end of the day?"

Oh and yes, The Elizabethan World is still at http://ren.dm.net