RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com>
To: 'Bonita White' <bwhite -at- youcentric -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:29:09 -0700

Well, I've had good experience with marketing folk and I've had
bad, so keep an open mind about things in general and tread
lightly at first. However, if the new VP starts getting heavy-
handed about things that you really don't agree with, here's
a little trick that's worked for me in the past.

Find lots of technical writing research and documentation that
supports your position -- STC Journals, books that talk about
the "personality" of fonts, style manuals, ... You know the
drill. Photocopy *at least* an inch of the stuff; approaching
two inches is better.

Hand the stack to the vp.

Smile _sweetly_ and say, "Here's the material on which I've
based my decisions. Please let me know when you've caught up
because I'd love to continue this discussion!"

Walk away before the vp's mouth closes!

Good luck!
Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."
-- Douglas Adams
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy