Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Barry Kieffer <bkieffer -at- ims -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:57:01 -0700 (PDT)

I worked on proposals at a major telecom, and while a number of them
were less technically advanced, of three of the marketing managers,
one had an advanced degree in Computer Science from Stamford, one
from CalPoly and one was a Phd holding two patents...yet they made
sales calls and spoke with customers.

And yes, they still asked the writer's opinions on putting together
launguage that was marketing-ish, yet technically accurate.

> I have herd this many times, and often on this list.
> The belief that marketing is just a bunch of spin-misters is
> hog-wash. Most of the
> marketing people I have known were all power users of the
> application or equipment.
> No, I am not talking about the artsy marketing person who creates
> the advertisements or
> silly posters. I am talking about the marketing people who know and
> sell the stuff.
> Why not give marketing the final say? Marketing has the
> responsibility for positioning the product - NOT us
> technical writers.
> By all means; give marketing the respect they deserve. Allow
> marketing the final say.

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer