RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Rock, Megan'" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:03:41 -0400

I spent 12 years doing marketing before pursuing technical communications.
(My major was Mass Communications, rather than anything so specific as
writing) There are fewer differences than many folks imagine. And like it
or not, it's all marketing:

Good marketing writers have to understand their product.
Good marketing writers have to understand their audiences.
Good marketing writers have to have a grasp of basic design principles.
Good marketing writers have to organize their information in a readable,
coherent fashion.
Good marketing writers ought to have their work edited and proofed by
someone outside their department.
Good marketing writers often have a difficult time getting to the honchos
for positioning strategy, quotes, pricing, or background information.
Good marketing writers take pride in the quality of the work they produce.
They want it to be right, and right for the audience.

Successful companies understand that marketing communications, and
product/user support efforts should dovetail, and often use the same
knowledge base. The jobs of both marketing and technical communications
involves a great deal more than just making something look snazzy.

Make friends with your marketing folks. They have a different perspective,
but chances are they want to do a good job too.

MTC

Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me,
and I'll understand." - Native American Proverb