localisation and local reviews

Subject: localisation and local reviews
From: "Jennifer O Neill" <jennifer -dot- oneill -at- village -dot- uunet -dot- be>
To: "Techwr-l" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:58:57 +0200

Hi guys,

My company has recently started getting its manuals translated using Trados.
Part of our translation procedure is for the localisation agency to send the
translations to our different national sales offices for review.
Traditionally the sales offices review & make their corrections to the
actual files (Word). Well, with Trados this is now problamatic to say the
least! The codes are getting messed up but there are invariably changes that
need to be made to the translated docs. Some countries need to modify the
info to meet national standards, and translators don't always get the terms
right. The proposal put forward is to use pdf files and for the sales
offices to write their comments in. The localisation agency will then
integrate these changes into the file itself. This procedure will be deeply
unpopular with the sales offices. They hate working with pdf. How do other
companies manage local reviews when using Trados?

Thanks.

jennifer