RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:28:22 -0700

At 09:51 AM 9/13/00 -0700, you wrote:

Why? In general, it's a good thing, not a bad thing, to have marketing
involved in the documentation process. When I work with clients, I usually
try to get the marketing people involved.

But there's a difference between "getting marketing involved" and "having marketing approve everything you do".

When I send my documents out for review, I send copies not only to the engineers, but to tech support, marketing, testing, and various other non-engineering people. Marketing gets to have it's input the same way any other person does.

Of course, at the same time, the doc departments completely control what's in the template. I have no choice on those matters (other than to make suggestion and comments to the Keepers of the Templates). So marketing couldn't tell me to change my font, anyway.

I guess my point is, that while I welcome input from all the people working on the project, I think I'd be a tad upset if everything I did suddenly had to be expressly approved by some marketing guy. Same if an engineer, tester, etc had to expressly approve it.

Anyway, you people are all giving Mr. Marketing guy the benefit of the doubt (which is nice), but perhaps she has reservations about the guy because she already has worked with him and has a pretty good idea (for good reasons) about what he has planned. I'm thinking she probably knows him better than you do. ;)

-Katie