RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: Barry Kieffer <bkieffer -at- ims -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:50:05 -0700 (PDT)

This is true, but - BUT - your department wrote the ISO 9000 document specifying
that you had to have approval "from engineers". Why did you make your ISO
document so restricting?

I am not blaming you Sierra, but I have seen ISO documents that specify the font
to be used. Way too restrictive. Totally unnecessary.

You might want to rewrite that ISO document some day to say something like
"approval will be sought" so that if the entire engineering staff is playing
team building games for the week you do not have that restriction.

Plus if you specified in your own ISO document that engineering had to approve,
did you specify "WHO" in engineering?

If the ISO doc your company wrote specifies that "approval from engineers" your
ISO registrar should have caught it during their last audit. "Approval from
engineers" is too vague. One engineer, two, the engineering secretary?

> From: "Sierra Godfrey" <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com>
> Approval practices depend on your procedures, I suppose. My company is ISO,
so we have to follow certain approval methods. I must have approval from
engineers before releasing a manual. Although I give a deadline for the
approval, I must hound them until I get an approval (if necessary).

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Senior Technical Writer
Integrated Measurement Systems, Inc.