Re: localisation and local reviews

Subject: Re: localisation and local reviews
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: "Jennifer O Neill" <jennifer -dot- oneill -at- village -dot- uunet -dot- be>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 01:30:23 +0200

Jennifer,

there are a few issues to keep in mind. Beforehand, I must say that I am not using Trados (being a single self-employed technical translator reducing the translation work, I do not get the accounts which justify the use of a Translation Memory system). On the other hand, I think I can say that I am pretty experienced with PDF.

The workflow you have in mind is an excellent solution. It has some considerable advantages. One is that you have a version control. By sending out the same PDF to all the parties doing revisions, you make sure that their information is the same.

Then you will have them use the annotation tools to do their comments. This allows the person doing the revision to actually add comments or explanations to their annotations. In order to do the annotations, the users will need a full version of the Acrobat Viewer component. This means that they will either need a full version of Acrobat, or the Business Tools. Now, the biggest advantage is that the reviewers do not need to send back the complete document, but can send just the annotations. Instead of several MBytes of PDF, they can send annotation files a few kBytes in size. You then get these annotation files and import them into the base document.

This procedure allows you to have a wider range of reviewers, which you can direct to one specific topic (if needed).

One thing to keep in mind is, however, that your localization agency is familiar with the local practices, for example, typesetting.

So, back to the workflow, you will have the actual development documents within your range of control, which can be very important for quality assurance issues.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

______________________

My company has recently started getting its manuals translated using Trados.
Part of our translation procedure is for the localisation agency to send the
translations to our different national sales offices for review.
Traditionally the sales offices review & make their corrections to the
actual files (Word). Well, with Trados this is now problamatic to say the
least! The codes are getting messed up but there are invariably changes that
need to be made to the translated docs. Some countries need to modify the
info to meet national standards, and translators don't always get the terms
right. The proposal put forward is to use pdf files and for the sales
offices to write their comments in. The localisation agency will then
integrate these changes into the file itself. This procedure will be deeply
unpopular with the sales offices. They hate working with pdf. How do other
companies manage local reviews when using Trados?