Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "Bonita White" <bwhite -at- youcentric -dot- com>, "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 19:30:13 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Bonita White <bwhite -at- youcentric -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 10:30 AM
Subject: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

> I have just been told that all documentation must be approved by
> MARKETING. Yes, you read correctly, approved by MARKETING. The new VP
> believes that he can best decide on matters of layout, font and the
> like. He wants to make sure that the manual "conveys the correct
>
> spin." Well, needless to say, I am horrified.

I can see why you're upset. This comes under the heading of "seagull
management"...fly in, squawk a lot, make a huge mess, then fly away.

A more productive stance would be for marketing to work with you from the
very start, defining what they want and need from your work. Then you don't
have the same fear of submitting something you've done to somebody who might
shred both it and your ego. Marketing does have a say in projecting a
consistent image to the customer base, but they need to do it continually,
working with you every step of the way.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar(TM) System
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
Check our Web site for the upcoming Clustar class info
http://www.simplywritten.com